Re: [MV] "Memphis Belle" and More

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 16:01:59 PST

Amen to your last. What about the way a couple of enterprising gentlemen who
recovered WW2 navy aircraft from the depths have had them confiscated by the
U.S. Navy, who couldn't care less about the private money spent, or the lost
dedication and resulting bad publicity these actions generated?

MV-related content relevant to the thread: speaking of bureaucracy, in Canada,
there are NO controls over private ownership of tank cannon or the like, I
suppose because it's acknowledged that no ammunition can by nature and time
exist in private hands. So far so good. HOWEVER, if you wish to bring one in to
the country, ANOTHER bureaucracy will demand formal deactivation by cutting and
welding, even though the item in question is legal WITHIN the country.

So, take this as an example. Even though Canada manufactured 1,948 Ram and 1,420
Valentine tanks in WW2, not one running example exists in this country (for that
matter, I know of no running Rams and only a handful of running BRITISH
Valentines, anywhere). OK, I find a Canadian Ram or Valentine, someplace. It may
be complete, but not running. Who cares, it's intact and original! What a find,
an amazing piece of Canadian war history! I will pay a lot because of what it
is, right off the bat, never mind whether it runs or not. Then I pay more to put
it on a ship to bring back here. When I get here, in company with something
priceless to the perpetuation of our history, this one department of our gummint
will CONFISCATE it unless I have it butchered via the welder's torch - EVEN
THOUGH IT'S LEGAL TO OWN COMPLETELY OPERATIONAL ONCE INSIDE THE COUNTRY.

You Yanks especially, don't feel too sorry for yourselves re the Form 6 issue -
this same nonsense exists everywhere. All you can do is pound on the politicians
- but realize that they only RENT their offices... the bureaucrats OWN them. We
have an uphill battle ahead of us, fellows...

Bureaucrats, whether in uniform or not, are a blight on our societies. T'is the
nature of the beast within....

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org <sunray@mapleleafup.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org <info@1cacr.org> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~