RE: SPLIT RING WHEELS a PROBLEM ...or was it SPLIT RIMS ? + Integrity ?

From: Rob Pearson (aussierob@odyssey.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 21:33:27 PST

Hello List.
First, it will "later" become apparent, if you read all the way through
...why I included these excellent web site address.. all about Batteries,
electric motor driven cars ...and quite interesting FAQ's
http://www.vmunoz.addr.com/ev-pages/aboutevs.htm

Even electric dragsters ...very very fast 120mph in ten seconds.
Visit web site "National Electric Drag Racing Association" (NEDRA) for more
details: http://www.nedra.com/

NOW TO THE REPLY + OUR FIX + INTEGRITY + Elect. Veh. kits. for my jeep?

My 72 dodge 4x4 pickup had "split rings / bead" we had trouble keeping them
on at one point. In fact, still use those dangerous, deadly rims.

However, when I got new tires We PUMPED THEM UP IN A SAFETY CAGE ...A MUST
OR YOU COULD BE DEAD!!!!!!!
Then, once the bead was forced out firmly against the rim and held in by
the "split ring..." we then, deflated each tire.
Next, we added only a "couple" of pounds to keep the tire in place against
the split ring. At this low, low pressure, we deduced that there wasn't
enough "available pressure" for the split ring to "fly" free and kill us !
It was a gamble ...but it worked.
Next, an Example here...
In a tire, How much pressure is say, "8 pounds, per Sq. Inch" -
Ok, just 8 lbs/sq'/inch. not too much, eh silly me...?

If there were, in "our example" say,
200 Sq. inches each, on the tire surface area on "both walls" of a tire,
ok...
and we had, say, only 8 lbs., pressure inside the tire, ok...
we could have a pressure pushing out against the outside tire wall...
theoretically, 1600lbs
against the split ring / bead of 1600lbs !
Man can those split rings fly! Just imagine the math if we had,
35lb/sq inch... 35X200=7000lbs (approx) of flying steel ring being slapped
into your face/chest as you kneel down to pump up a "split ring / bead tire.
Gotta, love those cages.
I don't think these are produced any more ?

OUR FIX....
Next, we welded no more than 3/16th., to 1/4" bumps onto the rim and up next
to the split ring. We thought, that the ring was made of some type of
spring steel... while the rim was mild steel... So, we tried it any... it
worked !

We DID allow some of the weld onto the ring, also !
With a garden hose in hand... for gentle but fairly quick heat
displacement... we welded about half a dozen spots or so ?
Next , a slow/quick water spray cooling, so as to not HEAT damage the
tire... no more heat than a rats a...@#^/[ ... again, we re-pumped the tire
up again in THE CAGE.... !

That was back in 1978. The tires are old n cracked now and the truck only
plows snow but the "split rings" are "still welded" in place... with a
couple of weld cracks, nowdays !

Finally, in case I have made a boo boo... with the Names of the "split
rings" / "split rims" forgive me if the inquiry was about "Split / Bolted
RIMs" like the WW11 jeeps had.
Those rims came with a rim insert to keep the FLAT tire onto the bead... so
as not to become "collapsed" into the center of the rim back there somewhere
in the south of France... with, a Jerry shooting at you ! Time to keep
driving, here ! No time to change a flat... eh ?

Finally, a funny thing on the news this week, [after all these years]
A "new rim development", a big manufacturer wants to put these very same
type of "Rim Rings / Spacers" in between the rim beads, & into its new
cars [what? ...you say !]
...yep, the news item" showed them using a remote control detonation of a
tire!
This, depicted how you could STILL keep driving until the tire
disintergrated.
[what a great novel idea] - [and where did that come from???] Eh ! I
wonder?

NOTE: [see, electric motor vehicle replacement kits "above and below"]

Later on however, rumor has it from a high up source, that...
Al Gore stated it was a bad, bad idea...
1] Because, he didn't invent it - Ha ha [& next, #2 on a more serious
Truthful Note]
2] It would only tend to keep our gas guzzling piston engine vehicles "on
the road", even longer !

Ten years back, Al's, nature book says' "to save the earth", Al., wants
all piston gas "sucking"engines, GONE in 25 yrs. Yep... they just could /
might DEMIL our ENGINES instead, and leave the vehicles INTACT, eh?

Now for all you Democrats and Republicans out there...
My politics dont matter, don't, don't, do not matter at all ...but !
Listen to the (Al's) rhetoric... & "know him by his words" - "by his
words... !
That saying, also goes for the other man... who, while debating, two weeks
back, won the
"Deer in the Headlights" - "Look-a-Like Contest"
If we believe GorgWya's words ...he promises to restore Integrity (good) to
the most Powerful Office in the western world!
SAND BLASTING:
If "I" were the Next President...
I would start my Presidency by "sand blasting" the surface under the White
House Oval Office Table ...yep, and then disinfecting the table underside
and the carpet while I'm at it ?

Now, for those of you who will decry my words as crap... and some will...
HERE is a big Fact (know me by my words)
Well, if you ever, ever ever, happen to "meet" me, addressing a group of our
"Military Vehicle" friends and "Willys Tech" friends, let me state,
I will NEVER EVER, point my finger "at you" and LIE ... never ever!
I WILL, however, POINT MY FINGER UPWARDS towards the sky...
IN THE SIGN OF THE LETTER "i" ...for "INTEGRITY" !

Our Military vehicles (won) or, helped greatly to "win" the WW2 because
they were designed with good intent... & built [generally] with great
Integrity ! Yes !

Regards to ALL listers... who Live and Breath INTEGRITY.
ol'jeep breath !
robbo
'42mb

Electric vehicle motor kits, info
Conversion Services and Component Suppliers
KTA Services, Inc.
http://www.kta-ev.com
944 West 21st St.
Upland, CA 91784 USA