1944 Willys MB jeep for sale

From: Chris (cdavis@mail.johnsonmfg.net)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 09:20:31 PST

$3700. Located in Southern California.

Ser# MB306987 (would make it Late Feb, early March '44 production)

Early MB engine (9/30/41 production) (GPW head) 6volt system intact.

Photos and complete info can be seen at:

http://www.johnsonmfg.net/43mb/index.htm

I found it in a back yard in Burbank, the seller said it ran when parked 5
+ years ago.
Turns over, builds oil pressure, has spark, almost starts (I think it will
run after carb cleaning.)
Still has all the little bonding straps all over it.
Body is straight, no major dents.

Original equipment still there:
4 combat rims
Axe & Shovel (WWII shovel, not certain on axe, handles equally weathered
though)
Original retaining straps… very aged, could be removed and saved
All axe & shovel mounting brackets
Pintle hook and chain eye bolts
All footman loops
Door strap hardware (passenger side strap still hanging on it, but strap
broken in half from age)
Jerry can holder, upper bracket and can (appear original, also has a very
aged strap)
All 4 outside handles
Top bows and brackets
Black out light and bracket
Skid plate
Original 6v Horn
Rear seat retaining hardware and brackets
Rear footrests
All seat frames (look like replacements, not painted same color as jeep,
but are in great shape)
Fuel tank
Trailer coupling socket
Hood and windshield hold down clamps
Floor start switch
Spare tire carrier and support bracket
Vacuum wiper motors
Mirror mount
Tool box locks (no keys, but they aren't locked)

If you look at the web site you'll see there is surface rust here and
there, but unless otherwise noted, it is superficial and easily cleaned up.

Solid:
Fuel tank well
Tool boxes
All fenders and fender wells
Frame
Rear floor is straight and not dented from cargo thrown back there over the
years

This is a very complete jeep. It looks like someone obtained it from the
military, added some turn signals (since removed) and painted it orange.
They didn't take all the little parts off. They didn't cut a tailgate or
weld in a roll bar. They didn't put a new motor in it. They didn't even
change the electrical system from 6 to 12 volts. It’s pretty unmolested.

So, if it’s such and easy restoration, why don't I do it? I recently found
a 1942 Dodge WC-53 Carryall that I MUST restore. I'll tell anyone
interested more about it, but for now lets just say the decks must be
cleared for a bigger project.

So, why only $3700?
Well, fist of all, it’s orange. And even if you happen to like orange the
paint has seen better days an will need to be repainted.

Secondly, in a word, rust. Not the kind of all over rust you see in other
parts of the nation, but rust caused by those nifty wood strips living in
the supporting hat channels and the moisture they attract and hold.

It has the typical toe board hat channel rust, which I've seen on every one
I've ever looked at. It makes it through the floor in the corners, and
contributes to a hole in toe-board itself on the passenger side. Also
effects the area the axe handle bracket mounts to on the drivers side.

Small rust through on the base of the windshield frame, driver’s side.

Some rust in the back panel by the spare tire mount.

The biggest issue is the channel that extends under the passenger seat to
the fuel tank well. Moisture got in here and formed rust that, over the
years, worked it’s way along the hat channel. You've got a two-foot long, 2
to 3” wide rust out area here. Mostly hidden by the passenger seat, so a
parade season patch wouldn't have to be perfect.

Other issues:

Needs tail lights
Needs tires
Brakes need to be gone through
Front bumper was replaced. Not stock, but a decent one that could be
painted and used as is.
Data plates are not legible
Will need new seat and top canvas

Still, for someone who can handle some rust repair, this will be a terrific
jeep.

Again, see the photos at:
http://www.johnsonmfg.net/43mb/index.htm

Please contact me with any questions you have about it.

Thanks,

Chris Davis
MVPA# 20000
Lake Forest, CA