Re: [MV] New topic to beat to death!!!! ~What is the Most commonly owned HMV

From: Demonware Restorations (INDYN@xtra.co.nz)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 13:19:08 PST

> Now. Here is my question. Actually it is questions. ;-)
>
> What is the rarest Historic Military Vehicle in private ownership? How did
> it get to be in private hands? What is the history of it?

Hello Listers.

To get the ball rolling my father and I are the proud owners of a 1919
Indian Power Plus. Although the year is only one year out these machines
were used by the Military. By far not the oldest vehicle out there but as
military motorcycles go it's not doing too bad. There is also a 1917 Power
Plus (Restored in military colours as to the manufacturers standards) over
here in New Zealand.

The most desired or sought after!

This one has to be up to the individual. Naturally the most sought after
would be the one that "publically" no longer exists, however I think
everyone still has that little dream that someday they will discover one of
"whatever" propping up someones hay barn, or better yet covered up with a
cloth (and fifty or so years of chook shit) with an owner who simply doesn't
know what he/she has...

The most affordable etc!

Naturally (usually) the smaller, the cheaper. The newer, the easier is is to
get parts in most respects. Motorcycles are small, relatively easy to
restore and once operational and kept in good order can last out for a great
period of time. My M741B cost me $7500.00 NZD about $3750.00 US Dollars to
buy, it was in civillain configuration but overall cost me a further
$2000.00 NZD ($1000 USD) to complete the bike with all origional military
parts excluding the engine. Engine $2500 NZD and it's finished.

Total $15750.00 NZD Includes Bike and full restoration to military specs
(labour not included)

Not bad since I can't even buy a basket case 100% complete jeep for
that!!!!!!!

Regards

Adam North
RNZAF Police Ret.
Demonware Restorations
1919 Indian Power Plus (could be military scheme, but undecided)
1941 M741B Indian
1942 M741B Indian
88' Landrover NZSTG
Type 82 Kubelwagon