RE: [MV] New topic to beat to death!!!! ~What is the Most commonl y owned HMV

From: Kelly, Robert (Robert_Kelly@FCEINC.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 15:30:56 PST

Well, I like this topic and look forward to some of the lists opinions.

Don't have anything particularly rare.

"The most desired/ sought after? "
I believe that the WWII MB/GPW is the most owned and sought after vehicle
because, in my opinion, it is the quintissential military vehicle. The
general purpose, common, see it everywhere, use it for everything, common
experience for GI's and Tommy's alike. When somebody who doesn't know any
better and sees your M151A2 says "Wow! is that an Army jeep? They used that
in WWII didn't they?" you probably get a little annoyed. No matter where I
take it, there is always some individual of the WWII generation that has a
dozen stories about it. They are still somewhat common, and thank God for
that because that makes it possible for all those wonderful parts vendors to
stay in business and feed my need. Of course, I am just spouting off at the
pie hole and don't have any hard numbers to back me up. Don't take offense
all you M series gurus, I want a '151 too.

"How bout the most affordable for someone getting into the hobby? Easiest to
maintain for someone who is so mechanically inclined that they can screw-up
a wet dream?"

Once again, gotta say MB/GPW, you gotta be a complete idiot to screw one up
mechanically. Believe me, I tried and nearly siucceded. The simplicity is
what to me makes it the most beautiful and intriguing machine ever made.
Asthetically, lets face it, the darn things are no Rolls Royce and just
aren't pretty. However, their no-nonsense design and construction make you
wonder what happened when you look under the hood of, say, a Jeep Grand
Cherokee. Look at the tool kit... you can do just about anything to the
thing short of an engine or drive train rebuild with a minimum of tools,
most of them being quite standard wrenches and only a few "specialty" tools.
I once considered getting a CUCV, and after reading some of the diesel
engine problems you all are having, I have definitely changed my mind. The
fact that there are a few of them out there allows the restorer to pick and
choose from vendors and even haggle a little bit. Most parts are cheaper
than a comparable part on a contemporary civilian vehicle. Not so with some
restorations... ever priced parts for a Mustang or a Corvette? They are just
premiumed out of this world. Jeeps are a nice down to earth vehicle owned by
reasonable people and supplied by reasonable and honest vendors.

Of course, there are drawbacks. I can't take it on the highway, and, um,
what else? I'm not sure if there are any other drawbacks.

Of course, all above is just my opinion, and heavily biased. I only have one
MV, and its my first. It has been one of the most rewarding things I have
ever done, next to my wife, and the birth of my son. When I see it in the
garage, I get all misty. They are one of the best vehicles ever made for the
time, and arguably on some level, thats true today. Just ask the man who
owns one.

Good day to you all, I await the onslaught.

Bob K.
'42 GPW

Given the mileage the jeep in the create got, I figure this one should be
good through the next election!

There are a lot of these questions that I have yet to see answered here on
the list in the last couple of years. I am interested in you guys opinions.

Respectfully,

Gordon