CUCV 1010 Ambulance

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 13:02:19 PST

In a message dated 06/11/00 15:19:27 GMT Standard Time, snoshu@market1.com
writes:

<< Forgot to mention..at Fort Carson was a 1010 Chevy Ambulance...not too bad.
 I was told it could not be sold ! Is the ban from Clinton on selling them
 still in effect...and how do some DRMO's sell them and others do not ?? Any
 one know the reasoning behind not selling the ambulances any more..? >>

Gene and Listers........

I asked at Molesworth (UK) DRMO a few years ago, when there were several
awaiting disposal (they would have made pretty good camper-vans). The SCO
referred me to the DoD demil manual (DoD 4160.21-M) from which I quote:-

"Ambulances, Modular. Ambulances manufactured by Southern Ambulance Builders,
Inc. (NSN 2310-01-170-6843 and 2310-01-171-4747) must be mutilated.
Mutilation is for safety concerns, primarily due to potential for fire."

The SCO told me that the insulation material used in the ambulance wall
cavity was flammable and apparently one had "gone up" pretty fast following a
crash. Hence the ban on sale of complete vehicles.

My guess is that once ONE type of ambulance gained that sort of reputation,
DRMO applied the same broad brush to every other type of ambulance that was
turned in.

Kind regards....
Ken