Re: [MV] Winching, Wenching and drinking.........

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 07:15:22 PST

>Any machine shop can cut off a piece of 5/16 dia. alum. and drill a couple
>of holes in the ends for cotter pins. I made four for my M211 winch

Yes any machine shop can do this but then this may not be just any Aluminum.
There are many different alloys of Aluminum having wildly different
metalurgical properties. Some of the 2xxx series for example have yield and
shear strengths very close to mild steel. Either pay the price for a real
pin or have your old one analysed to see what it is.

je