Jeep identity

From: John Doherty (mofta@farmerstel.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 09:40:59 PST

Jeep gurus,

I have literally tripped across a jeep and a mutt in a nearby salvage yard.
The Mutt is a 1968 M151A1 that was cut and rewelded across the front
floorpan in front of the seats. Rough, but complete for the most part.

The other jeep is an older one, that I need help identifying. I didn't have
my camera with me, I'll have to return for photos. It has the vertical
grill, not slats. A rather small glovebox. The windshield is missing. No
tailgate that I remember, I'm thinking its solid across the back.

Where do I find the most complete identification info for the early models?
Preferably with lots of illustrations. I've been asked to make an offer on
the pair, and I'm not a "Jeep" guy. I usually play bigger. But they may
make good beginnings for somebody, if I can identify them correctly. I'd
hate to see them get crushed in cleaning up the old yard.

There's a HEMMTT frame and running gear out back too. I'll have to take a
scrub ax back to get close enough to it for a good look. I can't tell if
all the running gear is complete or not. No body or bed, just chassis.
Plenty of tree trunk sized saw briars guarding it.

Thanks in advance
John Doherty