Power Increase / Fuel Questions.

From: James Wiehe (j.wiehe@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 07:48:41 PST

BlankI have to agree that coming back from a parade everything always runs better.
My question is : Has anyone ever tried using milspec synthetic gear lube in the
diffs., trannys., and tranfers. ? I know that the cost of synthetics can be a downside
to this but.....
With regards to the fuel questions etc. I would like to offer the following:
1) If you just got your 2 1/2 / 5 Ton you could remove the tank and take it
    to one of those gas tank cleaning or renewing places and have them clean
    it out for you.
2) Buy your fuel where the '' Big Boys '' get theirs. Truck stops go through
     huge amounts of fuel daily and it will always be fresh.
3) At these same truck stops you can purchase diesel fuel conditioner in one
    gallon jugs. We used to throw one in each tank. Each tank being 150 gallons.
4) The diesel fuel manufacturers used to say that they, '' Seasonally Adjust '' the
     fuel mixture with anti-gel additives. Whether this is true or not I don't know.
5) Drain your fuel / water separator. You may have to re-prime your fuel
    system.
6) If your truck is going to sit for awhile, add a little extra fuel conditioner at
    fuel-up. It will work its way through your system on the drive home.
7) This does not sound to military like but , what about a block heater ?
     It will take a load off your batteries and starter and for you CUCV
     guys , the glow plugs.
I send the above as only some suggestions. If anyone has any better ideas
I am always open for corrections.
Keep warm and cheers,

Jim Wiehe , VA3JHW
mail to : j.wiehe@sympatico.ca