Re: (2) [MV] Long, but should be read by every red-blooded American

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 05:26:00 PST

Brandon wrote:
>I find this to be a complete waste of bandwidth on
>this dicussion group, and I quote (from
>www.skylee.com):

Point well taken, and since it was a farce, I should have been chided....

However, it did have MV content (US military war vessels), and I think it is
ever more important to all members of the world how the US is perceived
overseas. I also think it was a particularly important message for around
veterans day, as the most important aspects of historic military vehicles -
I mean the modern soldier and veterans- have been getting shat upon by
society at large for quite some time now. Your historic military vehicle
would not exist, or if it did would be worth nothing if it wasn't for those
of us who wore the shoe leather and made history around it. Do you respect
them?

Well if you do, I can tell you from first hand experience as a DOD civilian
that they are getting the short end of the stick. Because of the smaller
military, they are called on more and more to be away from their families.
Their benefits are eroding. Their pay is not even comparable to the lowest
aspect of the middle class. Every day I work, I get to see another mis-use
of federal funds to poorly treat a veteran or active duty soldier.

After a while it gets to you, and when something which is so outrageous as
the post I placed on this list comes up, I post it, because it is just
another bit of evidence of how the military is treated, and you would get
bored hearing about how I see them get mis-treated.

So the point is well taken. I should research further things which I post
to this list. But we should also ask why such things seem to pop up from
time to time... Perhaps a grain of truth in the soup?

You should also treat this as an excited utterance, because today, I am
remembering some of those who fell around me, some mentors who are no longer
with us, and choking with some indignation at how I've seen some of my
heroes treated recently.