CUCV Golw plugs

From: Emmett Thompson (kt4al@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 10:13:13 PST

Hello all.
For all you out there with a cucv I have important news.
my M1009 was working fine until two days ago and was VERY hard starting. I
had already trouble shot the whole glow plug system a month before and
replaced all glow plugs. After putting nearly a gallon of diesel fuel
conditioner in the system Every thing worked fine. Well I asked the list
about the voltage dropping resistor and decided to take it out of the system
and connect directly to the 12 volt buss. I took the resistor off and put my
ohm meter across the resistors and found them to be almost a direct short,
only 0.8 ohms. The glow plugs were getting very close to 24 volts!

I started taking out the month old glow plugs and found that the elements
were swelled. I had a hell of a time getting 2 of them out.

I went out and bought 8 new ones at $72.00 Installed them and the engine
fires right up.

Lesson here is that it might be wise to get the glow plug power directly
from the 12 volt buss to prevent having to cough up $72.00 and going thru
the hassle of changing swelled glow plugs.

Regards
Emmett