Re: [MV] Glow plug resistor

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 10:32:17 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emmett Thompson" <kt4al@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 9:33 AM
Subject: [MV] Glow plug resistor

> OK guys I know to some this might sound like a stupid question but here I
go

> Why did GM take the glow plug power off the voltage dropping resistor? Why
> not just take 12 vdc off the normal vehicle wiring?
> The only things on the 24vdc are the starter, slave recpt,and the power
> strip for radios, and lastly the glow plug power thru the dropping
resistor.

> I would think that you could just take the resistor out of the circut and
> connect the power line directly to the 12 volt buss located just above the
> relay.

Probably has something to do with keeping an even draw across both batteries
while starting, or aiding starting during low-battery conditions, or
possibly a combination of the two.

GM 6.2L vehicles on civvy-street also have two nice big Group 30 batteries,
only they're wired in parallel to accomodate the heavy draws associated with
a 12V glow-plug system and a 12V starter, where ours supply a like current
via 24V.

I remember having an M1010 with a wire run directly from the 12V positive
and over to the terminating end of the resistor (effectively the input side
of the glow-plug relay), and the Canadian Air Force had evidently been
running it that way for some time. Seemed like a very bad idea, so I
disconnected it before installing fresh batteries. No wonder our taxes are
so high.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.