Re: [MV] Diesel Fuel

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 11:02:41 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: <mblair1@home.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 7:59 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Diesel Fuel

> "Chris Ciesla" <n2rdp@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > There is a sub-type of Multifuel engines which after being overhauled
were
> > restricted to diesel fuel only. It doesn't have the hardened pump. The
only
> > way to tell if you have one of these is that there is a decal on the oil
> > filter casing that says DIESEL FUEL ONLY.
>
> The engine in my deuce was overhauled in 1989. It does not have the
> decal, but it appears that the fuel compensator was bypassed, making
> it a diesel-only engine. I didn't know that there was a difference in
> the pumps. Does this mean that I should not consider un-bypassing the
> fuel compensator to turn it back into a multifuel? I probably wouldn't
> do that anyway, but I'd still like to know what my options are.

One would think that if there's a compensator present _to_ bypass, that the
pump is most certainly designed to handle fuels of varying viscosities, and
therefore a multifueler pump, no?

I've seen a number of LD and LDS engines with the Diesel Only sticker
(usually accompanied by one from Tooele Army Depot indicating the
compensator has been bypassed), but have yet to see one of 'em with a pump
of any design outwardly different from those equipping every other M35A1/A2
in the fleet.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C. (certainly no M35 expert...)