Re: [MV] CUCV Golw plugs

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 11:21:39 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emmett Thompson" <kt4al@worldnet.att.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2000 10:13 AM
Subject: [MV] CUCV Golw plugs

> Hello all.
> For all you out there with a cucv I have important news.
> my M1009 was working fine until two days ago and was VERY hard starting. I
> had already trouble shot the whole glow plug system a month before and
> replaced all glow plugs. After putting nearly a gallon of diesel fuel
> conditioner in the system Every thing worked fine. Well I asked the list
> about the voltage dropping resistor and decided to take it out of the
system
> and connect directly to the 12 volt buss. I took the resistor off and put
my
> ohm meter across the resistors and found them to be almost a direct short,
> only 0.8 ohms. The glow plugs were getting very close to 24 volts!

Not really. V = I x R, where V is the supply voltage expressed in Volts; I
the current value expressed in Amps, and R the resistance value expressed in
Ohms. Therefore: 24 = I x .08, or more solvably, 24 / .08 = I, and I
works out to be some 30 amps. My manual states the nominal total CUCV
glow-plug load as around 35A, so we're not far off the mark (there would be
an additional parallel resistive value relating to the glow plugs themselves
which I could probably work out , that is, if I run out of bamboo shoots to
stuff under my fingernails.)

Just for curiousity's sake, did you use starting fluid when it seemed the
glow plugs weren't starting the vehicle in a timely fashion from dead-cold?
That'll swell 'em pretty quick. However, I once had occasion to transplant
a set of very recently installed glow plugs from one CUCV to another (reason
unimportant), and some of them were swelled also - almost as though a
certain amount of swelling was to be expected as a by-product of
quasi-normal operation.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.