Glow Plugs, CUCV/HMMV

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 14:26:50 PST

>Puddgy glow plugs that were just replaced....

Sounds to me that your contoller is keeping them on
way too long or the plugs were eithered to death.

Both, CUCVs and HMMVs, run their plugs
directly from the 24V source. Only difference is
that the CUCVs added a resistor. The plugs
each draw about 6-7 amps from a 12 V battery.
I say 12 V because that is what the plugs are rated
at. The civi version use plugs rated at 6 V on
the 12 V systems.

Why?....On a cold day, your likely to see 8-10 volts
on a 12 V system, 16-20 on a 24V. Either way, you'll be drawing
from 60-100 amps heating up those plugs. The plugs are cycled.
GM merely removed the resistor when they went
from the CUCV to the HMMV applications and
tightened up on the controller tolerances. They found
that the engines started up faster and still had good plug life.

The controller runs off of the 12V BUT the actual
power feed for the plugs comes off the 24 V source
with that resistor in series. HMMVs does the same
but no resistor and the controller runs on straight
24V.

Ted.