Re: [MV] Tell me what you think.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 18:03:11 PST

Keith,
Let me say in the beginning that the dual wheels indicate that you may wish
to look for further modifications. M135's by definition have single 1100x20,
while the XM211 and M211 trucks carry 900x20 dual rears.
On the G742 (M35) series this is accomplished by reversing the rear hubs, but
as I recall on the G749 (M135/211) there is also a spacer plate to deal with,
but unfortunately I don't have my ORD 9 SNL G-749 in front of me at the
moment to verify this.
Since you are is near to Memphis as you are, it is possible that this truck
is one of the hundreds reconditioned by Memphis Equipment in the past. If
this is the case, the parts will be correctly assembled in working order,
even if there is no relationship to the data plate, other than the serial
number (which is also embossed into the front frame rail). If it is a
Memphis Equipment rebuild it will have a nameplate as such, usually on the
door or dashboard.
The weak point of this truck is the transmission, which usually succumb to
one of two things:
1 Freezing...it is water cooled, and failure to drain, or use antifreeze is
the death of them.
2 Abuse...This is a 2 1/2 ton truck (5 tons on road), and as long as it is
treated as such and properly maintained it is relatively trouble free. The
problem is that the frame, chassis, etc., will tolerate being overloaded, and
the rugged look only adds to this tendency on the part of civilian operators.
 Unfortunately the transmission will not the same abuse as the rest of the
truck.
This is made worse by the "mysteries" of it being an automatic (GMC 302M
Hydramatic....not Allison as in popular urban myth)...which doesn't lend
itself to shade tree mechanics.
Another area of concern is the in-tank electric fuel pump. IF you feel the
need to replace it with a non-original type be sure the pump you install
doesn't supply too much fuel pressure to the carburetor.
Dad and I have been doing a frame-up restoration on a M135 over the past 4
years or so. We began with a complete truck, and have added 3 parts trucks,
plus many trips to Memphis Equipment (but it will probably be better than new
when done), so if I can be of any help feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps,
David