Re: [MV] Beltring accomodation question

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 02:06:32 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoff Winnington-Ball" <gwball@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2000 3:33 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Beltring accomodation question

 Steve,

> Can't speak the official Gospel According to St. Nigel, but on the other
hand,
> they're asleep right now and I'm awake... :-)

But not for long. . . . . .

The W&P site has truly huge camping areas but as correctly stated by the
Canadian Colonial there is the possibility of camping with an MV exhibitor,
you need to take account of the desirability of close proximity revelry or
peace and quiet, we prefer the latter.

Formal accommodation is very expensive in the UK and handy for Beltring
facilities book up fast, I know for a fact some of the pleasant local B&Bs
were booked for 2001 by the guests resident for 2000. Definitely, Nigel is
the person with the gen.

> THOUSANDS camp at Beltring every year. >

Thousands and thousands.
Generally you cannot pitch camp on a UK roadside (vagrancy), trucks with
sleeper cabs have no application therefore, the plod will be along and move
you on, we have various levels of trouble with "Gypsies" and so-called "New
Age Travellers" especially in the summer.

As its such a fart-arse tiny island here, immediately off the road is
obviously fenced or otherwise delimitated being Govt (no chance), common
ground (illegal) or someone's property and they may or may not agree to a
short stay, usually not because of the N-A Traveller troubles.

You should have no problems at the Beltring site itself but forget the
roaring big camp fire near someone's painstakingly restored MV. Remember
also the Oz-UK jet lag is horrendous, debilitating and no joke at all.

CU there !

Richard
Southampton - England