Re: [MV] M135 versus M211 brake drum parts

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 20:57:21 PST

The M211 uses the same brake drum assemblies all the way around while the rear assemblies are
different on an M135. The key word is assembly. The drum part itself is the same between both M135
and M211 front and rear as DD mentioned. The back that DD refers to is a plate that is used to
attach the brake drum to the hub. I don't know why it's called a "back" as it bolts between the hub
and the drum itself. This back has a different amount of offset between the two versions mentioned
below. Plus the flange that the wheel studs press in to is offset on the hub. Anyhow by removing the
wheel studs and flipping the hub itself around on an M211, like you would on an M35 to convert it to
single wheels, and changing the back to one from an M135 before reinstalling the wheel studs in to
the opposite side of the holes they came out of the rear axles will have the same width between
wheel studs as the front axle. This same procedure can also be used to change an M135 to the dual
wheel setup of an M211 by using the M211 back instead. But as mentioned in another message to the
list M211/M35 rims must be used. I have the Ord 9 SNL G-749 service parts manual for the M135/M211
and can scan the image that shows the breakdown of parts that are used in the drum assemblies. If
anyone would like me to email them a copy of the image, or any other image from said manual, let me
know. It will be in JPG format at about 400K in file size unless requested in a different format or
file size.

Bryan
1952 XM211 with a CCKW 5 speed manual tranny
1953 XM220 with stock automatic