Re: [MV] Tell me what you think.

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 21:58:00 PST

If I remember correctly the M135/M211 originally only used 30W oil in the transmissions but they
changed the manuals later on to instruct the use of 10W in cold climates. My understanding is 30W
oil caused premature transmission failures in cold weather and the thinner 10W oil corrected the
problem. ATF fluid was either not available or was not as common to get back when the trucks were
made and that was why it wasn't used. Later on when ATF came out the transmissions were only changed
over to it upon being rebuild. The clutch pack inside the tranny had to be changed in order to work
properly with the ATF stuff. You were not supposed to just change fluid because the tranny wouldn't
work right afterwards if you did.

Bryan
1952 XM211 with a CCKW 5 speed manual tranny
1953 XM220 with stock automatic
XM105 1 and 1/2 Ton Trailer From Checker Cab Company
MVPA #20324