Re: [MV] Mil-Veh research using BOOKS - PHOTOS

From: Nelson Dionne (aa1mo@nsradio.org)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 10:43:46 PST

Helo List:

    For the past several years, I have been using the local Borders,
Barnes & Noble, and other major book stores for my mil-veh research. What
I have found, is that, if your prepared to go and spend some time there,
as well as at your local library (most bookstore books are available
through interlibrary loan) , you can sometimes come up with a major
amount of information.

    There are a great many books with a photo or two of many rare or unsual
items. My main area of research is in the area of military bicycles. You
would think that there is nothing in print on them, yet I consistantly come
up with "throw-away" mentions about bicycles in many WWII books. I've
even come up with some good info from photos that have bicycles in them.

    The latest important bit of info gleened this way was a heretofore
unknown method of marking airborne bicycles on the rear of the front
fender. A new paperback edition of "Glidermen of Neptune" shows a
bicycle in a jeep getting set to be loaded into a glider and you can just
make out the markings on the bike. A photo from another book clearly shows
just how the markings was applied.

    I have files of all these mentions, making sure that I have the title
page copied as well as the pages of the bicycle info. When I find a good
photo, I make a copy using a color copier. They will make a copy of a book
or magazine photo that is as good as the original. This is a great method
for copying old WWII veterans snapshots, as the current copiers will
enlarge the original to full page size automatically. They can be adjusted
to remove yellow, or improve contrast, too.

    There were a great many rare or unsual military vehicles that have
almost nothing in print . Sometimes, this is the only way to develop
information on them.

Nelson Dionne
MVCC #411
Salem, MA
Collector of military motorcycles, bicycles and hand carts

PS: The latest bit of info is from Arcadia Publishing's "The Military
History of Boston's Harbor Islands" by Gerald Butler. Page 98 has a
1944 motorpool snap shot taken at Fort Banks in Winthrop shows what
appears to be a CCKW with a snow plow mount ! Boston gets about 4 to 5 foot
of snow each winter. Knowing that they had CCKW snow plows may insure that
if one was found, it would not get torched off by a collector not realizing
that it was a rare military accessory,, not a civvy add-on!