Re: [MV] Diesel

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 00:03:46 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeanne Lacourse" <cckw@mediaone.net>
<Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 2:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Diesel

> Regarding TEL. I seem to recall reading that TEL is one of the MOST
> poisionous substances to humans going.

That it is, as TEL one drop on the skin or a whiff of the vapour is fatal,
however, when massively diluted and contained in pump gasoline (petrol)
which in itself is somewhat noxious, there is no real added danger over the
effects of the fuel itself. After combustion of course the TEL is converted
into something entirely different.

Anecdotally I offer the following, having started footering with the
infernal combustion engine pre 1960 I dread to think of the occasions of
getting well covered in the high lead gas (petrol) of the time and the
amount used as a face wash or swallowed even, in ad hoc siphon operations.
I seem to be still alive (others might argue) some 40 yrs later on.

Richard
Southampton - England