displaying HMV's, US elections, Jane Fonda, etc.

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 17 2000 - 05:54:42 PST

When I display my vehicles at public events, I always bring along placards
that tell what kind of vehicle it is, who built it, who used it, what for and
when. These placards also state that the vehicle is now privately owned.
When I have to leave the vehicle unattended, up goes another sign,
reiterating that it is privately owned, and to KEEP OFF!
It is amazing to me the number of times I return to either find someone in or
on the vehicle, or evidence that someone has not respected my, the owners,
wishes. When confronted about their breaking of this simple request (rule if
you will), rather than being remorseful, they are usually belligerent.

I suppose that the above is what makes me find the various postings about the
US election, Jane Fonda, etc. so amazing....when we all subscribed to this
list we agreed to respect the OWNER's (Arthur Kyle) wishes, which are:

<The military vehicles mailing list is a forum for those who privately own or
are <interested in military vehicles from any country and of any type, from
bicycles to <tanks.

<Discussion can cover repair of vehicles, buying and selling vehicles and
spare <parts, weapons, paint, markings, technical documentation, and
notification of clubs, <parades, and conventions for military vehicle owners.
Most any discussion <concerning issues of interest to military vehicle
collectors is appropriate, though <military matters beyond historical
background would likely belong on sci.military.

<Military LR (Land Rover), Jeep, and HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose
Wheeled <Vehicle or "Hummer") discussions are certainly appropriate, and
there will be some <overlap with lists dedicated to civilian LR, Jeep, and
Hummer ownership. Mil-veh is <most appropriate for talking about the numerous
military versions of such cross-over <vehicles.

<Please do not post binaries to the list. We all like to see photos of MVs,
but <mailing them to the entire list clogs up the system and people's
mailboxes. <Instead, post a short pointer to where readers can find the
pictures (ftp site, URL, <whatever) or offer to e-mail them privately.

<Likewise, do not post in MIME or HTML. Post messages in plain text only.
<MIME/HTML messages will be bounced by the list software.

<Please do not post test messages to the list, or off-topic messages.

<Although brief, personal "For Sale" or "Wanted" postings are appropriate,
please <check withbefore making commerical postings that are not in direct
response to a <question posted to the list. If you own or are involved with a
business and your <posting concerns that business, it would be a commerical
posting. In any case, <only messages with a direct connection to the private
ownership of military vehicles <are appropriate.

<If in doubt, send e-mail to postmaster@skylee.com.

Am I whining when I ask people to climb OFF my HMV? Or should I do, as some
have suggested regarding the list, just delete them? Or should they just
respect the owners wishes?

My .02,
David Doyle