Re: [MV] Ferrets

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Mon Nov 20 2000 - 17:19:56 PST

Years ago Canada surplussed out its Ferrets and many went to the USA. These
were the turretless models. Probably pretty tired vehicles too.

Some of these stayed in Canada (including a batch in Oshawa, Ontario where a
military museum was formed and runs a fleet of Ferrets etc.) but the lure of
the dollar sucked many of them south - e.g. from Crown Surplus Store in
Calgary, Alberta. Some have been released in Canada from the British
training base at Suffield Alberta, Canada. One of those, with a turret,
belongs to the British Columbia Regiment's museum. Some were shot up on the
target ranges.

The British used some in the 1991 Persian Gulf War. Later the British
released theirs surplus, and many have been imported into the USA from the
UK. Prices were good, they were armoured, and fit in a typical garage. Some
came fresh and right out of war reserve in excellent condition I have heard.
They are still being imported into North America. A friend, Albert Siemons,
may import some into British Columbia, Canada from Belgium. These are
ex-BAOR (British Army of the Rhine) Ferrets.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)