Re: Books

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 14:04:46 PST

jimweb@simonides.prestel.co.uk writes:

<< BTW for those who have read this far down I came across a complete set
 of Vanderveens Observers Military Vehicles Directory [3 volumes] today
 in the local second hand book store. >>

Dear Listers,

Jim's note reminded me that yesterday I was in our local bookstore and came
across copies of "Military Vehicles... From WWI to the Present", by Hans
Halberstadt. This chap has written several books concerning things military
(usually US-stuff, like the book he did about the National Training Centre).
This latest book is big and glossy (and costs around £15), with lots of nice
pictures of all sorts of vehicles (including quite a few on Ferrets).....
and I turned to the section dealing with the M151-series to see what he'd
written.
Well, the photos are reasonable, nothing out-of-the-ordinary, but his text
says "the M151 was built between 1960-1969 by AM General and Ford". For
someone as well-connected as Halberstadt, I was somewhat disappointed to see
yet another error concerning the Mutt solidified into "fact". My suggestion
is that all MV books should carry a tear-out page (as per US Tech Manuals),
headed up with "What's wrong with this Publication???", complete with the
author's mailing address on the reverse side.
Ah, well, that's another £15 frittered away.....

ken