Brazing fluxes and alternates.

From: Gavin Broad (invest@portsmouth-mann.com)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2000 - 16:12:52 PST

Hi List,

Way back in the an(n)als [:-) of my apprenticeship, I was brazing away at
some rabbit job, or other, when a grizzled old git (probably about 45!) of
a fitter wandered by and gave me some sage advice about what I could use if
I ever found myself without proprietary brazing/soldering flux.

Having long since forgotten that particular grain of wisdom, I would like
to ask if anyone on the list can remember/knows what you can use as flux
when none is available?

I did get the words translated but travelling around the welding shops of
Bangkok and asking for "nam yah pra-san torng leung" (your Thai lesson for
today) was about as much use as a pork chop in a synagogue.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Gavin