Re: [MV] CUCV Specification Questions

From: Julian Burke (julianb@esper.com)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 05:14:28 PST

Neil wrote:
> " I am a new member on this list and had a few questions about some
specs
> of the CUCV series (specifically the M1008/M1028) vehicles. I tried to
find
> this info on the web, but didn't have any luck.
> 1). What Wheel/Tire size combination was standard equipment on the
> M1008/1028 trucks?
> 2). What gear ratio(s) came in these vehicles.
> 3). Did they have manual or automatic hubs?
> 4). What are the interior appointments like (vinyl seats, dash,
special
> equipment)?"

Neil, There is plenty of info on these types of trucks on the net and all
over too. All you have to do is use "CUCV" as the keyword and you should
find many if not hundreds of "hits". Pretty much all of these families of
vehicles are all alike. They are a bare bones Chevrolet. 16" tires came on
the pickups and 15" tires came on the Blazers. I don't know of any in those
years that came with "auto" hubs as with any military vehicle. I like the
"manual" hubs when I'm out with it. Pickups have 4.53 rears and I think the
Blazers have a 3.01. Appointments? You get the same thing a Cheyenne
pickup came with. Special equipment? None. Again you get the same thing a
basic Cheyenne pickup came with. (If they did have any "special" equipment
that the military used ie; radios and such, you won't get it with the
vehicle) What makes them special to me is that they all have a Diesel
engine that can be serviced anywhere. I'd be more worried about the trucks'
condition before I worried about its' "appointments"! These trucks were
meant to work hard in the military and were NOT meant to please a wife.
(ANOTHER reason I like'em!) Are you expecting a great riding civilian model
with power windows and air conditioning? These trucks came with three
and Hydravac brakes were standard. (Is there more!?) Your first love has
to be a green machine. Then love for your country. Somewhere down the line
is your wife/family etc. Julian