M38 front axle

From: Steve Smith (smittysline@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 16:10:55 PST

Hi List,

Has it ever been common practice to fill the front differential with a
combination of gear oil and grease? I just opened mine up for the first
time since I bought last year and found a thick black sludge that makes
crude oil look like good. No! the vehicle has not run except for 50 miles.
The steering knuckle with the Bendix universal joint was packed with grease
so much that had there been 90 Weight in the Diff. it could not have reached
it.

Any recommendations?

Steve