cckw-353...more info, manuals etc

From: tonygull (tonygull@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 02:16:11 PST

Hi,
        Perhaps I should have included more info....I acquired a PARTS and SERVICE
manual immediately.

I actually purchased the truck off a mate of mine, who got it at auction as
the local
depot of Transfield Ltd at Kooragang Island, Newcastle, NSW , Australia,
because the depot
is moving. He only sold it cause he did not have time or money to resto, due
to changed circs.
It hurt him to sell, BUT he had advertised it in the paper "for sale"..so I
didnt feel to bad
Hey, he made a profit as he only paid $1500!...he also aquired a good set of
guards at a swap meet.
The Transfield guys are almost all Italian, and the boss was a bit
pissed-off when he realized
that he had sold it too cheap...at the main depot in Sydney, where i went to
get the parts,
they also had a Federal, similar vintage, 5ton or so, fitted with a
Cummins...i only saw it at
a distance. The boss there said they used to have dozens, my Jimmy and the
Federal were the last

I also contacted by phone, a list of local owners, and discovered a complete
supplier of parts
Ross Prince, WW2 parts, QLD, very cheap prices...a master brake kit, with
piston! $40
wheel cyl kit $40, brake lining $20...he has every part. I orderd the
manuals and a master kit
The brakes have not worked for many years...i removed and rebuilt the master
and bled...whilst
doing the fronts, the line under the radiator burst, so i will remake one,
but first it will have to come home, as working on it on the Island is not
nice...my darling wife cried upon being informed that it will occupy the
backyard "for a while"...i told her that i was moving 4 vehicles out to
accomodate the Jimmy and that we would discuss the matter next morning when
she was more logical and less emotional..took her and the kids to see it and
now she is ok!

The entire drivetrain is in really excellent condition. The tires are good.
it drives and steers good, the winch works.

it needs some exhaust fabrication, one engine side screen, and has some rust
holes in the sides of the open cabin.

It has a PBR VH9 vaccuum booster, a Bosch distributor, and a GM
adjustable-jet carbie.
has a steel tray, no doors or roof, also a BIG hydraulic setup,cause they
reckoned the PTO
was too slow, the PTO also has a massive capstan.

I contacted the foremost historian of Jeep military records in order to
trace the vehicles military history...i understand most of these vehicles
came to Australia in the early 50's
from the Pacific Islands, as part of the LendLease program. All of the
records of Australian military vehicles are contained in large volumes in
Canberra...there are over 200,000 entries,
he may be able to locate mine. i hope so.
                                                                regards tony