RE: MAN truck/tractor

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 01:48:16 PST

Jim.......

I have a photo or two of this truck somewhere in the archives. During the
mid-1980's, our group was invited to visit the Greenham Common RAF (USAF)
Cruise Missile base in Oxfordshire.
We were given our first ride in a Humvee (the base police had just recived
them) but the highlight of the trip (apart from a two-hour sojourn to the
AAFES), was a tour around the mobile missile launchers with an hilarious tech
sgt. The launch command vehicles were hauled by the MAN trucks, and several
of these were in an unusual cammo paint scheme. It seemed that every time the
MANs were taken out of the base on exercise, the "peace women" camped outside
the gates would hurl cans of paint over the vehicles ! The truck that I took
the photo of was "gloss silver" at the front end.

A few years later, I noticed in a DRMS catalog that several MAN
truck-tractors were up for sale in Germany, most described as "good". As a
by-the-way, our tec.sgt guide rated the MAN's off-road performance as "better
than anything else in the inventory".

kind regards....
Ken