Re: [MV] Stenciling the military registration number

From: Jim Gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 22:08:19 PST

>Craig wrote:
>
> > >I found a "Stencil" font on the internet that will duplicate the
> > >stenciling of the 40's.
> > >
> > >Question is, how high are the letters that were used say for an M38?.

      Craig has found a nice stencil font here. However, I should caution
that this is not the font of the original factory numbers for the WW II
jeep or the later M-38 and M38A1. The font that was used on vehicles from
the factory was done to Govt. specs. The numbers were very different and
the webs (spaces) between the sections of the numbers were painted in so
that the number was all one piece. There is a TM on painting vehicles which
has a page showing the correct font for the factory applied numbers. This
page can be blown up to the proper size and used to cut stencils.

     The font Craig has found is appropriate for vehicles repainted in
combat zones. Some photos of jeeps in Normandy had the same type numbers.

   Good work Craig!

                   Jim

James T. Gilmore
2565 Wiethoff, Inkster Michigan 48141