Re: [MV] Beltring questions

From: Brandon (c322348@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 19:44:22 PST

I just returned from the UK with a rear step to fit a Dodge WC-54 Ambulance
(and other bits in my luggage). The only questions were, "What is that?" and
"How much did you pay for it?" to which my answers were, "It's a part for an
antique truck" and "I paid XXX Pounds Sterling which converts to about XXX
US Dollars." If XXX US Dollars is less than a certain amount ($400????) you
don't have to pay any duty, although if you can document that the parts were
US made you might not have to pay any duty regardless of price.

My experience is that if it fits into a piece of luggage they don't ask. Any
outsize items trigger questions. I would avoid transporting replica
Panzerfausts, etc. as these will elicit undue attention (!) at the airport.
Better to mail those!

And of course don't take my word for it....I'm not a lawyer. The customs
forms that you fill out on the airplane before you land in the US will have
much of the info you need. Perhaps the flight attendant can give you an
extra one to read in advance on your way to the UK.

BK