Re: [MV] The US military is in big trouble!!!! HMMWV from hell...

From: Andy Michalski (amichalski@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 06:19:35 PST

Reminds me of my first MV, a M1009 that came back from Saudi Arabia, and
surplused through the Guantanimo Bay, Cuba DRMO. Here is the list...

Rear brakes didn't work too good. Reason for that was the primary and
secondary shoes swapped front to back, and the automatic adjusters swapped
side to side.

Driver side alternator never charged. Reason was the field wire was
disconnected at the firewall, I guess they just kept changing batteries and
alternators. The connection looked like it wasn't connected for some time.

Hacked up wiper motor wiring. I found that the terminal for the wiper motor
inside the big bulkhead connector on the firewall bent over not making
contact with its receptacle. I figure that this was like this from the
factory, so instead of tracing the circuit, they just ran a big piece of
wire to one of the fuse box terminals.

You should see them do bodywork....on another M1009 the front fender was
replaced. Held on with 3 bolts. When the fender started drooping since
there were no bolts connecting it to the core support, someone made a cobby
looking weld to attach it to the support, it broke anyway. Now that one had
me scratching my head, wouldn't it be easier to put the missing bolts in
rather than dragging out the Mig welder? (not that the welder knew how to
operate it for that matter)

Then there is the motor diagnosis at the motor repair depot...Fresh rebuilt
humvee motor making knocking sounds (due to a stuck fuel injector). Hmmm,
lets pull the motor out, drop the oil pan and check for trouble with the
bearings. Nothing found? Aw shucks, lets go get a CUCV and steal its motor
for our humvee.

You know, all these shenanigans in the long run actually benefit us, the MV
collectors. Some real nice vehicles can be had when they cant figure out
what is wrong and surplus them.

Andy