Beltring the way I saw it

From: Tom Woodburn (twoodburn@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 03 2000 - 20:58:18 PST

Ok ...... from a Yanks point of view ... here are a few thoughts and ideas
from
this summers adventure, in no particular order and reason.
Get your passport now....... if you don't use for Beltring you can always
use it later.
Driving is do-able however I recommend two people. One for navigation
the other for actual driving. Hertz tossed me the keys and told me to have
a nice
day. After finding the car (easy) I sat in the drivers seat laughing like a
fool.
I'm taking their Ford Focus, driving from the wrong seat, on the wrong side
of the road,
shifting with the hand that has spent the last 36 years on the armrest, OK
I'll
have a nice day. However, it was sort of fun but finding my way along with
the
road signs was somewhat tougher. Pulling over to read the map was tough
because
as Doug said there is no place to pull over or park. Even out in the open
country
the edge of the blacktop is the end of the side of the road. There are
hedges planted
everywhere except for the drive way or other road openings. The area around
Beltring is very
pretty country side. The towns that you go though are right up against the
road and
pretty as a picture.
Flying ..... Fly into Gatwick if your going to drive, it will make life
much simpler.
Get a direct flight. Mine was only 8 hours from Cinny Ohio and cost in the
range of
$1000.
Rooms ...... I stayed in Royal Tumbridge Wells in a hotel for about the
same
amount of money as a Holiday Inn here. I had a 15 mint. drive to the Hop
Farm
everyday with hot showers and a quite room. (In 2002 I am planing on
camping
some of the time a the show.) Watch out for some of the B & B 's they have
curfew for their visitors to be in by or else you have to sleep on the
front step.
Take lots of film the take some more.
Jim Gilmore gave me a few tips at Knob Creek. One of those was to take a
empty suitcase. That was an excellent idea and worked like a charm. Thanks
Jim!
You can get lots of small stuff and books in your luggage if you remember
dirty
laundry makes good packing material.
I spent 6 days at the 5 days show with an average of 12 to 14 hours per
day.
On Saturday evening I found one whole camp ground that I had missed. This
place is bigger than you can believe. Everyday there is something new
arriving.
Walking the display areas or camp grounds people for the most parts are
friendly
and happy to show you there pride and joy be it jeep, truck or a tank.
The language barrier can be a problem for some of the people from the
European but most everybody speaks some english.
Maps ... Get your road map before you leave this country.
Research .... hit the web .... there are a lot of good sites with
information and maps.
Start a hard copy folder to take with you.
Parts ...... being a jeep guy I found that most parts found over there can
be found over here.
Small stuff and small NOS parts are pack able, but the prices are roughly
the same.
Custom .... I didn't have any problems anyplace but then again I wasn't
trying to
move anything I could hurt myself with.
Fun ... I got to meet several members of the list, I met and made a new
friend
with a guy from Tenn. that was also there by himself.
Caution ... When you leave the stall area (vendors) and cross the small
concrete
bridge head to your left. Follow the outside edge around to the left until
you see
an old British truck with a polson(SP) hanging on the back, a sign with
some kind of
deformed dog, a flag with a red leaf, and a half-breed
motorcycle/dozer...... beware,
Beware those are list members and be careful they are friendly.
That's enough for tonight ... I anyone has any question please fell to ask
Nige will help you with rooms and questions. I didn't get to meet him but
saw
him at work everyday in the arena.
Gavin .... I got to see him drive by twice but never get to meet him
either.
I met Doug, Raimondo, Jeff, Richard, Dennis, Danny, Andres, and a few
others
from the list. It was great fun ... do it...... you won't regret it.
Tom Woodburn
MVPA 16138 and IMPS
1944 MB completely apart for a body off