M3???????????????

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@brick.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 03:42:36 PST

Just the other nite..ABC ran a special on the Combat Photographer...WWII.
Film shown late in the war in Germany featured The M5........and Chaffee as
well as the M41 ......heavy tank. Some great footage of tank to tank
warfare in a german town.

A panther lay in wait as the M41? fired on it..combat footage showed the
commander tumbling out of the command hatch, minus his legs as the rest of
the crew lights out, just to be mowed down by shrapnel as the tank is hit
again and lights up, with the commander burning to death on the deck of the
tank.....horrifying...but fascinating as well.

Another scene was of French forces in France, equipped with shermans, doing
battle with one of the shermans being knocked out. Battle damage to tank is
shown. The scene shows comrades lifting the injured from the turret as the
tank burns....some french tankers standing on the deck reviewing details of
the battle as their comrades are carried off. One particularly horrible
scene is a tanker being lifted out with half his chest being blown
away....obviously dead......their was no effort by the French to not show
faces of the dead on this film......unlike the US photographers, whos
edited film always refrains from showing faces of the dead.

Closing, this film was one of the best I have seen on the subject and
featured film clips I have never seen before...sorry I don't remember the
actual name of the show. Great shots and personal stories told by the
photographers themselves.....

Jon