One bump after another!

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:57:04 PST

Hi list,

Here are more miscellaneous ramblings from the totally unhinged (that would
be me, of course.)

If you have been reading along, you know that I found that I had been given
the wrong wheel cylinders for the front brakes of the Scout. So, off I went
to the brake place and after a minor investigation we found that there were
three possible replacement cylinders for my old one.....only one of which
was the correct one! Hooray! We swapped, even up. (my fellow 'scouties'
should take note....proper wheel cylinders for your Scout are Wagner F746
(WC746) on the rear and Wagner F1430 on the front.) Interestingly enough,
though the name Lockheed has been dropped from the original Wagner-Lockheed
name for many years, the wheel cylinders I got today still had the original
name in the cylinder casting. VERY Cool.....not that anyone will see 'em
but I know they're there.

Ok, so I get home and I'm all ready to put my front brakes together on the
backing plates which should be most enjoyable because (1) absolutely every
part is either new or renewed and (2) the backing plates are off the Scout
so this is a do-it-inside-the-nice-warm-house project. So whilst gathering
my parts I go to the big cardboard box where I've placed 8 relined shoes.
Keep in mind I am looking for the front shoe and the trailing shoe, one set
per side (the difference being the trailing shoe has a shorter brake lining
though the shoe is otherwise exactly the same)....so, out of the box I pull
out a front shoe...and another....and another....and another....and
another.....
@#$%^&*!!......and another.....and another....and (*heavy sigh*) another.

Oooooooooh-kaaaaaaaay............ ... .. . Obviously the fellow in the
shop took no notice that the originals given to him had linings that were
SHORTER on one and LONGER on another. So after installing my wheel
cylinders (with brand new bolts and lock washers I might add) I called it a
night. Screw it.....I was too hacked off to do a nice, patient, proper,
relaxed job of it anyway.

Here's the moral of the story...... Did I carefully check the relined shoes
when they were originally returned to me?....No. Did I carefully examine
the first set of new wheel cylinders whey they were presented to me and
check them against the originals?...No. I assumed they were
correct.......and these situations ARE HOLDING UP MY FrEaKiN RESTORATION!
ARGH! (*primal scream*) Time for a major policy shift at The Last Chance
Garage because part of the blame is mine.

Anyway, to make the shoes correct I hope all that is necessary will be to
drill out two rivits on the end and shorten the shoe lining with a saw
(luckily I have two more original sets to measure from.)

Goodnight all.

TJ
(sole proprietor, singular <and still unpaid> employee of The Last Chance
Garage.)