RE: [MV] M51 registration numbers

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 06:14:23 PST

Bob,

The numbers on the hood are the "USA" numbers. There have been several
discussions of these in previous postings but, basically, they are a
separate identification number (other than the serial number) that is
assigned to the vehicle, by the Army, when it is delivered. You might think
of it as a permanent "license plate" number that is painted on the vehicle.
It is, supposedly, unique to that vehicle.

The bumper numbers are a different story. They give you some information
about the last unit that "owned" the vehicle. In your case, the 99CR means
something like 99th Command (Reserve). Our local Reserve Command was the
88th CR for several years and has now been re-designated the 88th RSC
(Reserve Support Command). The "E" under 99CR should have been preceded by
another number. For example, our local Engineer Battalion is the 367th so,
the bumpers on our trucks read 88RSC with 367E painted directly underneath.
The 26 on the drivers side should be preceded by a letter designating the
Company of the Battalion that the truck belonged to. HQ for Headquarters
Company, A, B, C, or D for one of the line companies.

Hope this helps.

John