Re: [MV] CUCV charging woes

From: MVTrucker@aol.com
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 06:02:29 PST

>I'm still fighting with my CUCV charging system.
Chris,
You didn't mention if the dash alternator lights were working,
staying lit or not lighting. I read on the List that those bulbs
have to be good because they're part of the circuit. I lived
under the hood of my M1008 due to one light not lighting
and one battery running down. Replaced the alt with one
out of another CUCV, still had the problem. Swapped the
bulbs, changed the sockets and checked the fusible
link. While double checking the wiring, I even took the
fuse block apart and checked inside of that for loose wires.
While reassembly the fuse block, I was in the process of
putting the cable back when I noticed a taped connection.
As I untaped it, the wire pulled out and I found out
that someone had used one of those crimp type connectors
to splice the wire. This was the problem the whole time. So
look for any modifications to the wiring. I even found a fuse
wire cut and bypassed in the fuse block, though this had
nothing to do with my generating problem. I was just really
surprised that someone did this.
While on the subject, I've heard that the left and right alts
are identical, but grounded differently. I've also heard that
certain things have to be modified in order to use a left or
right alternator on opposite sides. Parramore swears they
are exactly the same and are interchangeable.
Joe Young
www.joeyoung.com
MVPA #12311
NRA Endowment