[MV] MB Chain Oiling.

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 06:34:59 PST

....if this is any help.....

I've a copy of the CJ-2A/CJ3A/B Jeep shop manual.
This would pretty much covers the GPW/MB, M38 and
M38A1 motors.

Anyway...., a tech note states that the Hex Head oiler, just above
the lower gear, was drilled with twin .040" holes. It stated that
this item should be updated to the smaller, .015" twin holes.
I brazed mine over and drilled new, smaller holes.
I may not have the exact diameters right, but you get the point.
My notes and TMs are elsewhere.

This was done to prevent, #1 rod and possibly the first Main bearing,
damage. The sprayer is right there near both those bearings.

I've done this mod, and kept the original filter unit, and have
not had any bearing problems after many long and hard miles
on my M-38.

Hmmm, not having this oiling problem, think I'll pull
the filter unit off and measure the diameter of the restrictor in
there for my notes. Anyone interested, when I determine that measurement
I'll shoot it to yah, along with the OLD and NEW sprayer
diameters.

Ted.