Re: [MV] MB Chain Oiling.

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 19:41:08 PST

>Secondly, since the chain means that the Camshaft and crankshaft turn in the
>SAME direction, but with a gear the camshaft and crankshaft turn in the
>OPPOSITE direction, I assume this means a totally different cam so exhaust
>doesn't open before intake?

Yes, as I recall (it's been many years) the MB cam gear mounts against a
face with 4 bolts (is it 4 or ?) where as the CJ cam gear goes on a shaft
with a key and a center bolt. The cam on the MB has a hole in the end with
a spring in it and there is a pin attached to the timing gear cover that
pokes into the hole in the cam thus keeping a posative force inward on the cam.

>And since the camshaft drives the oil pump, I
>assume the pump is set up for reverse rotation?

No, that would mean that the distributor is reversed also, they are not.
The helical gears on the cam and oil pump are cut reversed meaning that the
oil pump is the same but the oil pump gear is different between MB and CJ.
If you mix up cams and oil pump gears they will not mate in any condition
other than MB-MB or CJ-CJ..

>Did they use the same cam and reverse the rotation of the engine and firing
>order? I assume NOT!

You assume correct. Although some engines were made in reverse rotation
versions for multiscrew marine applications, not to common any more from
what I hear.

>I seem to recall that the oil pump bore in the block was slightly larger on
>MB so the MB pump couldn't mistakenly be inserted in the wrong block?

Not sure about that??? I thought the basic pump was the same or maybe not
the SAME but interchangable, other than the gear that is.

je