Re: [MV] Movie rental fees.

From: Mel Miller (nourmahal@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 21:08:17 PST

Gavin Broad wrote:

> What fee should we expect to charge/receive for rental of our vehicles per
> day, or howsoever else it might be calculated.

Rental fees are highly elastic as one might imagine. Location is
everything. In areas of the country with lots of film activity there are
city production coordinators who can guide you. There might even be a
vehicle leasing agent who regularly provides cars and trucks for films
and ad shoots. That person can advise you and the city coordinator will
know his name. In areas where there is little work going on it is well
to spread your name around to the local film guys so that if a
production company does come to town they will remember you. Then
negotiate! Remember, if they really need a vehicle that you have they
will have to ship it in a long way if you do not rent it to them. On the
otherhand, dont expect to et $1,000/day for a ragged MUTT!

Having had some experience in renting equipment to movie and commercial
makers I will make the following recommendations.

1. Find out EXACTLY what the company wants to do with your vehicle.

2. Require that they use your driver and pay and feed him/her.

3. Make sure they have insurance which covers the vehicle and the driver.

4. Get it in writing and get the money up front!

Cheers and welcome to Hollywood!
Mel Miller
2 X M725