Re: [MV] CUCV charging woes

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@wheeldog.net)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 10:30:31 PST

From: "SteelSoldiers" <steelsoldiers@steelsoldiers.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2000 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] CUCV charging woes

> Here's the bad news fellas. I checked the bulb and the socket. They are
> working properly and there isn't any damage to the circuitry. I started
> tracing the #4 wire from the plug which appears to carry current to the
> light. It's a white wire and I didn't get very far before it started
> pouring the rain here. Are there any relays or anything I need to be
> checking while I have the dashy apart. Where do the wires go after they
> have been to the bulb? Thanks everyone.

Yep. There are three relays up in behind the dashboard. Basically, find
your ashtray and your STE/ICE connector, and you should be able to feel up
in behind both of them and feel a mounting for three relays: one is the
starter relay, and the others are for the alternators. (Going from memory
here, folks.)

I have had a couple of 1009's where one or both of those relays have been
removed (standard Bosch-type accessory relays, if memory serves, the ones
with terminals marked things like "85", "87" and "87a"), and if that's the
story on your truck, it might explain why you're having problems.

Also, FYI, the bottom-most fuse on the fuse block is the 24V fuse for the
24V charging guage.

Andy Hill
MVPA 9211
Vancouver, B.C.