What's this starter for?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 19:59:43 PST

I'm cleaning and/or reorganising stuff and found a starter that I bought
perhaps 10 years ago. It's green and 24V and came from a guy that dealt in
surplus mil parts. It's a large motor as starters go, just a little bigger
than a 35MT or 37MT Delco for those of you that know about these kinds of
things. It has a lever that throws out the gear as well as activates a
switch attached to the starter housing, there is no solenoid attached. It
appears that the lever is pulled mechanically via whatever method, which
throws out the drive then hits the switch which must then activate a
seperate solenoid which energises the motor.

Name plate says:

Starter 24V DC
Direct Cranking
US Army Part Number 7389561
Specification AXS1851
Type II
Model Number 1108898
Serial Number blahblahblah
Delco Remy

Does anyone know what this was for? I have an application (non-mil) but I
am just curious.

je