Re: [MV] on LST/Jeff Chandler movie...

From: Steven P. Allen (spallen@rolemail.ccis.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 07:40:32 PST

At 11:29 AM 12/19/00 +0100, Raimondo L. Torelli wrote:

>Tom & List
>
>Is the LST the ship of a war movie starring Jeff Chandler? Sorry, I do not
>have the original title, in Italian is "Scialuppe a Mare". It was the
>story of a ship which traveled from the USA to the Pacific theatre and was
>bombed by the Japanese and was sinking... but her landing crafts were still
>able to tow her to a port for repair. The Cpt., Jeff Chandler, was
>injuried and IIRC, died... but the ship was in a safe port.
>
>Do you remember this movie?
>Is the LST the same type of ship/H.M.V. of the movie?

The movie you refer to is "Away all Boats." the ship was not an LST but a
larger APA, an Attack Transport. The book from which the movie was made is
an excellent read and much more detailed than the movie; take the chance to
read it if you can. IIRC, the APA used in making the movie was the Randall.
AFAIK there are no APAs left, but I'll happily learn different.

Steve Allen