Re: [MV] USPS another shot!!

From: Mike Towers (mtowers@texas.net)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 13:43:52 PST

O.K, O.K., everybody likes to beat Ma Bell and the Postal Service. I don't
work for either, and believe me, I have my challenges with both. Hell, I'm
lucky to have dial tone way out here in Pipe Creek, so don't even mention
broadband like ISDN or DSL--they advertise it, buy I can't get it.
Anyway, I agree with Howard, but kind of bass ackwards. I think USPS is
GREAT for anything under two pounds. I have had great luck with priority
mail in relatively small packages, and they even provide custom packaging
(vhs tapes, tyvek envelopes, etc.)
What I REALLY like about our USPS is that they will put the package in my PO
box, or in a locker there in the post office and the key in my PO box, so I
can get what ever I want, anytime. Since I'm a Deputy Sheriff (among other
things) I sometimes order some pretty wierd stuff.
UPS means tracking down the truck (their alleged tracking system is REALLY a
joke). Fed Ex usually means a two day wait and a 100+ mile round trip to
their office in the nearest big city.

So, for carrying my 1oz first class letter anywhere in the lower 48 for less
than four bits, and for shipping around AND DELIVERING small parcels to me
in my rural area, I still don't think you can beat the USPS--warts and all.

As for Ma Bell, there is a new TWO WAY broadband home satellite just now
becoming available at reasonable cost. It may be time for me to unplug my
telephone and put it with my old J-38 telegraph key in the barn.

Mike Towers
p.s. Merry Christmas, Y'all!!!