115th QM N.G.(Ammunition Handling?) '39 Ford 1.5 T Panel CONVERS.

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 13:37:26 PST

Trying to get to final conclusion on this old truck. I'm headed soon to
Camp San Luis Obispo Museum (hopefully) to see period photos of my panel
(it will stand out!).
  In the meantime, anybody with a clue as to
what it did? Next to QUARTERMASTER on rear doors it says AMMUN.... I
assume "ammunition". What role did this vehicle play
in handling, storing, securing ammunition if any at all? Remember it is
a 1.5 ton panel (dual rear wheels) non-4wd and that very extensive
cabinets have been built into the cargo portion
of the truck, and that some of these cargo areas had drawers. 99% of
cargo area is only
accessible while standing OUTSIDE the vehicle.
  In addition, there is one built-in long metal box
attatched the floor, such that the open end faces the rear doors. This
box measures about
5"hx16"wx5'l. Another simlar box opens to the
pass. side below the belt-molding.
  This vehicle has a massive hitch that I think is
original to the vehicle. Just inside the rear doors is an area that
obviously had a square box of
some sort bolted to the wooden floor. Measures approx. 16"x16", tucked
against right rear corner. In the wooden floor inside this square
area is a very neatly cut-out 3" hole. Exhaust
pipe hole? Drain of some sort?
  Please also remember that this vehicle had
3" yellow stripes against later (lighter) OD.
Initial OD coat looks to be a bit darker with perhaps some gloss. These
stripes appear to
have covered much of the exterior sheetmetal
and cabinet structures.
  It would be nice to know what the exact function of this panel was,
and what equipment
it had so I know what's missing!
  It is still possible that this '39 was one of several such vehicles
made up and scattered across the country.
  Along with "115" and "QUARTERMASTER"
is a funny little fish-like logo that signifies
AMMO? Just don't know.
  In light of all this does "TB 766" make any more sense? If it doesn't
refer to a QM or ORD
technical bulletin, then I need to look into the
possibility that "UNION HARDWARE & METAL"
only supplied the steel for the cabinets and that
"TB" is the conversion manufacturer.
  Sorry about the length and Happy New Year!
Don Kenyon