IHC (Wrecker and Otherwise) Stuff

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 20:53:13 PST

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool IHC man ,so I would like
to add my two cents.
If you purchase any old vehicle you can expect some difficulty and
expense with regard to parts. I have no idea what your mechanical skill
might be or what your vehicle storage situation is.
This is what I do with respect to these things:
I buy with the heart. After all, this is supposed
to be a hobby,and we're supposed to have some fun! THEN I worry about
parts availability
and cost! I DON'T buy anything exotic, I don't
have the pocketbook for it. This stuff is strictly
cave-man technology-wise, and there's a LOT
more around then we realize.
  When I get into a situation where I'm having
trouble getting parts, I find another parts vehicle and since we're
talking IHC, I always get it for a very reasonable price. I have a
farmer friend who frequents auctions, for example, and he's seen many
times where an
old IHC won't fetch $40.00.
  As far as Wagner Hi-Tork wheel cylinders go,
they ARE weird and expensive to buy WHEN
you find them. My '47 KBS-5H 2-ton has these
on the rear axle and it took me awhile to figure
them out. But IHC wasn't the only company to
use them, and there's no reason to assume that
there's not a perfectly good (rebuildable) set down at that old wrecking
yard near the old highway.
 Anyway, networking on this forum and others
will get ANYONE out of the TOUGHEST parts
jam. Please feel free to ask me any IHC questions. I kinda live for
that.
Don Kenyon ASE Certified Master Technician,
L-1, CA EA Smog License/ keeper of old IHC
tin