Re: [MV] The nuts and bolts of the matter... (Question)

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 20:22:05 PST

>Grade 2 can be used for holding on fenders or headlights. Grade 5 should be
>used where you might need better shear strength. Grade 8 is an over used
>strength bolt used for "head bolts" or in differentials ( just an example
>where shear strength is needed.

Good examples. However, shear is but one failure mode (like cutting a piece
of wire), tension is another (pulling apart). In the case of head bolts or
studs it would most certainly be a tensile failure.

> and yes there are nuts marked that fit these
>bolts not to mention washers).

I get hardened washers in an SAE pattern (smaller diameter) which the bolt
place calls "carb washers", I use lots of them! There are also high
strength lock washers which are not the same as the harware store variety.

je