Re: [MV] 115th QM N.G.(Ammunition Handling?) '39 Ford 1.5 T Panel CONVERS.

From: paul carrier (paulc@teleport.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 21:56:42 PST

At 01:37 PM 1/1/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Trying to get to final conclusion on this old truck. I'm headed soon to
>Camp San Luis Obispo Museum (hopefully) to see period photos of my panel
>(it will stand out!).

Good luck with the trip, you may need to spend some time if they let you in
their archive...

> In the meantime, anybody with a clue as to
>what it did? Next to QUARTERMASTER on rear doors it says AMMUN.... I
>assume "ammunition". What role did this vehicle play
>in handling, storing, securing ammunition if any at all? Remember it is
>a 1.5 ton panel (dual rear wheels) non-4wd and that very extensive
>cabinets have been built into the cargo portion
>of the truck, and that some of these cargo areas had drawers. 99% of
>cargo area is only
>accessible while standing OUTSIDE the vehicle.

I was talking to one of the museum guys here in Oregon today and he
suggested sending you a picture of our current Chevie contact truck.
Then it struck me, Prior to 1941 the QM corps was responsible for trucks
AND their maintenance.
What you most likely have is one of their contact trucks. Take a look at
one of the utility trucks they use to service construction equipment. Lots
of exterior boxes and a center storage area.
The box on back was most likely made by the company you note below.

> In addition, there is one built-in long metal box
>attatched the floor, such that the open end faces the rear doors. This
>box measures about
>5"hx16"wx5'l. Another simlar box opens to the
>pass. side below the belt-molding.
> This vehicle has a massive hitch that I think is
>original to the vehicle. Just inside the rear doors is an area that
>obviously had a square box of
>some sort bolted to the wooden floor. Measures approx. 16"x16", tucked
>against right rear corner. In the wooden floor inside this square
>area is a very neatly cut-out 3" hole. Exhaust
>pipe hole? Drain of some sort?
> Please also remember that this vehicle had
>3" yellow stripes against later (lighter) OD.
>Initial OD coat looks to be a bit darker with perhaps some gloss. These
>stripes appear to
>have covered much of the exterior sheetmetal
>and cabinet structures.
> It would be nice to know what the exact function of this panel was,
>and what equipment
>it had so I know what's missing!
> It is still possible that this '39 was one of several such vehicles
>made up and scattered across the country.
> Along with "115" and "QUARTERMASTER"
>is a funny little fish-like logo that signifies
>AMMO? Just don't know.
> In light of all this does "TB 766" make any more sense? If it doesn't
>refer to a QM or ORD
>technical bulletin, then I need to look into the
>possibility that "UNION HARDWARE & METAL"
>only supplied the steel for the cabinets and that
>"TB" is the conversion manufacturer.
> Sorry about the length and Happy New Year!
>Don Kenyon

SSG Paul D. Carrier
Readiness NCO (63H & 45K)
Det 2 Co. B 145 SPT BN