Re: [MV] jerry cans

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 06:54:05 PST

I would say this very likely stands for US Metal Company or some such similiar name. In other words,the maker of the can.  I've seen any number of cans that have USMC on the bottom and US on the side.  In that case, I say it was made by a company whose intials were USMC.  However, when I clearly identified name is on the bottom, CONCO or whatever and USMC is on the side, rather than US or QMC, I believe it does NOT mean the maker.  Unless there is a spec sheet somewhere that says USMC means US Metal Can, as in US Property, Can, Metal, I will continue to believe these are USMC in origin.

What is typically so different is the USMC side marked cans are also the ones with the true "Jerry Can" type mouth, a small camlocked opening, rather than the large mouth screw lid type found on other cans with the US or QMC.  Pictures bear out the USMC used this can.

It might all just be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Jim