Re: [MV] jerry cans

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 06:39:01 PST

Jim and the list,
                Good point about not listening to museums. I maintain
contacts with several workers in DOD museums, all good people, but
unfortunately sometimes shockingly ignorant of historical research
techniques and the role of documentation and provenance in assessing the
historical context of an item. They definitely do not have enough time to
do more than just maintain exhibits and lead tours and do a bare minimum of
research. They like me because they always seem to learn something from me
when we get together.
        And here's another suggestion to throw out there for deciphering
USMC. The US Army's Medical Department also used the title US Army Medical
Corps at one point in time. I have found several items which are marked USA
MD in the past. Could this be a possible explanation for the USMC marking?